03 Oct VMworld 2018: The Essential Digital Foundation
Technology giant VMware recently held its annual conference event, VMworld, in Las Vegas during the last week in August. As an authorized VMware services delivery partner, our Pinnacle team members were in attendance at the conference and got to experience first-hand the tech announcements, speaker presentations, training and breakout session and more.
This five-day event, hosted at the Mandalay Bay Hotel, marked the 14th year of VMworld, and was also a banner occasion for the tech provider itself – VMware recently celebrated its 20th anniversary. With more than 20,000 in attendance and over 170 sponsors, VMworld 2018 provided the ideal opportunity for VMware to make several notable announcements and highlight the emerging technologies that would play the largest role in enterprise computing.
The Essential, Ubiquitous Digital Foundation
During the event, VMware shared its vision for what’s it dubbed the “Essential, Ubiquitous Digital Foundation.” This concept includes:
- Support for any device, from traditional mobile endpoints to connected transportation systems and industrial, mechanical systems.
- Support for any application, including traditional, cloud-native platforms and SaaS-delivered applications.
- The ability to combine any device to access any application through any cloud, including public and hybrid cloud environments, as well as edge and telco-supported clouds.
- The ability to incorporate any type of cloud environment within any infrastructure.
In order to make such a digital foundation a reality, the proper networking and security management, automation and virtualization are required. Within this realm, VMware highlighted its vRealize Automation as well as its Network Insight to enable end-to-end workload automation and network discovery and insights, respectively. In addition, support for virtualization is well within VMware’s wheelhouse, and the tech giant noted that many of its flagship and existing offerings were ideal for supporting the type of network and security virtualization that a robust digital foundation demands, including:
- NSX Data Center networking and security support
- NSX Cloud network services
- AppDefense application security
- NSX SD-WAN connectivity services
- NSX Hybrid Connect data center and cloud workload migration services
Today’s tech superpowers
During an interesting General Session Keynote with VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger and VMware CTO Ray O’Farrell, the tech experts highlighted key technological systems – or “technology superpowers” – required to support the navigation of the current, disruptive technological environment. Not only do they work in tandem with each other, but they are also incorporated and play key roles in the Essential, Ubiquitous Digital Foundation. They include:
- Cloud, encompassing private, public and hybrid environments.
- Mobile, and the associated data created through mobile platforms and devices.
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, which can help parse and analyze the data being created through mobile endpoints.
- Edge computing and the Internet of Things, supported by AI and ML capabilities.
These crucial technology superpowers are currently shaping the face of the technology environment, and will only become more imperative parts of infrastructure and enterprise systems in the near future. A replay of Gelsinger and O’Farrell’s Technology Superpowers general session is available here.
As a VMWare Authorized Consultant and reseller, Pinnacle was pleased to be a part of this year’s VMworld and 20th-anniversary celebration. VMware solutions, including its industry-leading cloud and virtualization services, are that much more powerful when supported by expert tech consultancy services. To find out more, connect with us at Pinnacle today.